Saturday, February 4, 2012

2012 Primary CD Challenge

I LOVE **this idea of having a challenge for the kids to complete. I want to help encourage the use of the CD our Primary gave out as our Christmas gift last month, so we'll be doing a "2012 CD Challenge." Essentially, every month, there will be a new activity the kids will need to complete that involves using their CD at home and reporting back to me. I'm planning on introducing the challenge this Sunday.

Here's how it will work:

I'll make 2 simple charts (one for Sr. and one for Jr.) and tape them inside a manilla file folder (easy for me to transport as opposed to a huge poster).

Then I will write all the kids' names down the left side of each chart. Across the top I listed the 8 months we'll be learning a new song (January - August), and then each week that we'll be reviewing for the program (for us, that's 3 weeks in September). I'll keep the file in the back pocket of my binder so I'll be able to access it at home or at Primary.

For each challenge the kids complete, I'll mark it off. When kids finish all the challenges, they will get a "reward" at the end, after the program (I haven't figured out the reward yet - SUGGESTIONS?). I'm considering doing a "music party" after the program that someone on Yahoo Groups mentioned and hand out all the "rewards" at the party.

Here are my monthly challenges:

January - Using your 2012 Primary Songs CD, teach As A Child of God to your family during Family Home Evening or anytime when your family is together - OR - learn As A Child of God on a musical instrument and perform it in Primary the last Sunday of January (music can be found in the January 2012 Friend).

February - Listen to Choose the Right on your 2012 Primary Songs CD this month. As you listen, write down how many times the words "choose" and "right" are sung.

March - Listen to your 2012 Primary Songs CD as you go to sleep this month. Sing along to Stand for the Right each time it is played.

April - After listening to Had I Been A Child on your 2012 Primary Songs CD, read 3 Nephi 17:11-13 and 17:21-24 (if you don't know how to read, ask someone to read it to you). Imagine yourself with the Nephites when the Savior came. Draw a picture of you with the Savior or write what it would be like if you were there. Listen to Had I Been A Child again, singing along with the CD.

May - Sing When I am Baptized to your mother, grandmother, or any other special woman you know (primary president, primary teacher, etc.)

June - Sing Nephi's Courage to your father, grandfather, or any other special man you know (bishop, home teacher, etc.)

July - Listen to your 2012 Primary Songs CD in the car this month. Sing along to Every Star is Different each time it is played.

August - Draw a picture of how you choose the right while listening to I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus. Give your picture to a member of the Primary Presidency.

Then here are my 3 review challenges the 3 weeks before our program:

Review Week 1 - Listen to your 2012 Primary Songs CD and write down the 8 songs we learned this year that we will be singing in our Program.

Review Week 2 - As you listen to your 2012 Primary Songs CD, write down what the songs teach about choosing the right.

Review Week 3 - As you listen to your 2012 Primary Songs CD, write your testimony.

Each month, I'm going to pass out a half size sheet of paper listing that month's challenge and a spot for the child to write their name along with a parent/guardian signature. The kids can then return it the next Sunday, take it to my house during the week, or have their parent/guardian tell me it was completed.

I will allow PLENTY of make up so if a child didn't complete a certain month on time, they can always catch up. I want this to be a fun experience for everyone. If at our "music party" there are kids who didn't finish, I may see if some of the Primary Presidency can help kids finish so everyone can get a reward.

**This is a great idea from Camille on her Singing in Primary blog. Please see her original post for more pictures and links to print-outs.

No comments:

Post a Comment